Frankfurt Pig

Sunday, December 09, 2007

sundayyyy morninggg

well, OK, it's nearly 9 at night, but I wanted to pretend that I have some culture and put a title of a song with sunday in the title and could come up only with the velvet underground - no, sunday bloody sunday was not a choice... -
Anyway, this weekend has been entertaining. On Friday we had the xmas event of the company; obviously, being an American company, you cannot mention Xmas because you might offend whatever sensibilities, so it was called "Holiday event". Perhaps next year I can ask them to have another event before I get holidays, I don't see why my private, very un-religious holidays should be discriminated and go without a company event. The mysteries of political correctness. Anyway, the party was OK, it was in Offenbach in a theatre. The food was pretty good. The music sort of, but we danced anyway. And I can still remember everything so hopefully I didn't manage to make a complete fool of myself. Then yesterday I woke up, had my triple coffee, felt like a piece of crap, went around in the streets close to the railway station (no, they are not nice) because I wanted to find something Indian to put on my Xmas tree. Background: I bought my Xmas tree 3 years ago and then I figured that 1) I live on the 4th floor and I am too lazy to take the tree up and down to and from the cellar every year 2) I have no space in the cellar to store the Xmas tree - so, basically my Xmas tree stays in my flat the whole year, and every now and then changes outfit. So every year I make a Xmas dinner for my friends and, since I am very political correct, I call it the Xmas tree birthday party, in which Herr Der Baum (which is the German for Mr The Tree) shows a new outfit and people have to guess what the year's theme is. End of the background. This year I wanted to make the Herr Der Indische-Baum, but I went to all the Indian shops in Frankfurt and couldn't find anything, not even a little Ganesh to put on top. So I bought all sort of spices and then I was feeling all this wine from the night before going up and down and decided to have some Indian food, which helped a lot. Then I had to rush to go to the supermarket to buy food for Herr Der Baum birthday party. I wanted to make this beef stew with beer and I had asked where I can get some proper meat; so I diligently go up to this mall outside Frankfurt, spend half an hour to park, another half an hour in a queue and get this meat which was supposed to be good. Well, I arrive a home, start cooking it and it becomes a piece of concrete. Shit. The other stuff was good though, made some pizza dough rolls with emmenthal and olives, some bread with caramelized onions and duck's breast and the usual goat cheese. Then unfortunately we had the bad idea of trying to use the chocolate fountain that Eugenio brought and ended up having these big blobs of chocolate on the table. Not nice, but the pictures are entertaining:-) So today I stayed at home, cleaned the mess, relaxed a bit and then was ready to go to Eugenio and Maike's house to have some Mexican food when I realized that I had to finish something for work so ditched them, did my homework, 2 washing machines and now I write here, then have a yoghurt and go to bed that next week is going to be another disaster. Perhaps I should start calling this blog "dear diary". Sorry...
So, what ALL of you were waiting for: who won the "What will Her Der Baum wear this year?" context? The winner is Gaborno, who guessed right about the India stuff - doesn't matter that I couldn't find anything Indian to put on top, he still wins. And what does he win? Nothing, so he learns about not coming to my place for New Year's eve, and now one by one people are saying that they are not sure and blablabla.
And what was Herr Der Baum wearing this year? Since I couldn't find anything Indian, I figured that this year 4 of my friends married so I decided to make it Herr Der Hochzeit-Baum (Mr The Wedding-Tree). It took me 1 hour to find black balls and then people thought that it is the mourning Baum, so I assume I will change it soon. The worst thing is that I have started thinking that it represents my feelings lately, which probably means I badly need a holiday - or a drastic change - or both.

4 Comments:

  • in your face, everybody! IN YOUR FACE!!!! Yeah baby - I win!!!! Whooo-Haaa! Who Tha Man?

    OK - I am back to normal now. May I remind Alba's fellow readers that also last year I managed to guess the tree? And if I am not mistaken, I got some pretty good food in exchange. But it seems she is not very happy with me and so no food I read? Where is my motivation for next years guess? I hope I can convince Alba otherwise by bribing her with a nice present from Finnland. Please confirm ...

    By Blogger Captain Catan, at 1:16 PM  

  • just realized your comment on me not coming to your place. Any chance of putting the whole place on a big truck and shifting it couple of hundred kilometers north?

    see this picture for what I mean :-)

    By Blogger Captain Catan, at 1:18 PM  

  • I am not moving my house closer to Germany my dear:-) and you obviously can try to bribe me with the present, let's see how your negotiation skills have improved...

    By Blogger alba, at 8:44 AM  

  • always liked a schallenche

    By Blogger Captain Catan, at 10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home