Frankfurt Pig

Saturday, November 10, 2007

I'm back - and on facebook

miei cari, after a sequence of small little shitty posts I am back and writing - even because I went to the "Mexican" restaurant with Jasmina and the freaking spinach is coming up and down from my stomach.
I joined facebook, since everyone is on it anyway. They have all sort of weird thingies you can add. Let's see how long it takes before it becomes boring like everything else. One of these applications you can add is called bookshelf, or something like that: basically you go on amazon and search for a book you read or you would like to read. When Carletto sent it to me I thought it was great. Then I found out that most of the books I read are way too weird for amazon to list, so I added around 40 before getting bored. Now, since I have my old little beloved blog, I can write here about what I have recently read. This week I read 2 books, one about food and one about wine. The food one is called "cuochi si diventa" ("you can become cooks", meaning that you don't have to be born with the gift) from this guy called Allan Bay, who, despite the name, should be Italian. It is a book about what to cook and how to do it. Some things are interesting, like a veal stew that I will probably cook - even because now I can start cooking nice heavy food, it's getting cold like shit in this country. He also has some nice tips on the soffritto (the cooked onions + other vegetables, sometimes, that you use as base for the food), about taking the alcohol out of the wine before cooking with it and about broth. Some of the dishes, however, sounded slightly shitty, especially the sort of "Indian" ones he proposes. Let's see. The book about wine is called "Elogio dell'invecchiamento". It is interesting, especially when he describes what you learn in the sommelier school in Italy and how some people can really look like idiots when they start tasting wine (I assume everyone has the friend that believes that if you don't throw everything into a decanter and then don't sip from your glass as if you were a cow, sound included, you are an ignorant). He also describes some wines, some of which I have never tasted, some of which, given the description, I think I won't be that eager to taste anyway. Net, the topic and themes of the 2 books are interesting. Unfortunately, they are written with the ass - expression from my dad that means that they are written pretty poorly. I find it strange that noone could check them before; sometimes the sentences are embarassing for how badly written they are.
Now I started reading "... ma l'amor mio non muore" (... but my love doesn't die), a book about "origins, strategies, documents of the 'alternative' culture and of the 'underground' in Italy". Basically something that amazon doesn't have for suuuuuuuuure. Some parts are really interesting. Some parts I cannot even understand: "la tendenza gauchista a fondare una teoria scientifica e legittima dell'apirazione del proletariato alla vita non c'interessa. Il tema della decolonizzazione e' gia' discorso sulla illegittimita' della carcerizzazione" - "we are not interested in the gauchist tendency to build a scientific and legitimate theory about the dreams of the proletariat. The theme of the decolonization is already a discussion on the illegitimacy of jailing" (could be that some of these words don't even exist in English; I have some doubts that they actually exist in Italian to start with). I find it interesting to read books written in the 60s and 70s, their Italian is the most convoluted shit you can get your hands on. Or, if you want to see it from their point of view, probably we are becoming so ignorant that we cannot understand a sentence that is more complicated of "Fini ancora papa': la findanzata 35enne รจ incinta" ("Fini - a politician - to become dad again: the 35 years old girlfriend pregnant again"). Probably, as usual, truth is somewhere in between.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home