Frankfurt Pig

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

movies!


I decided to stop working and go to the cinema.
On Sunday I went to see Jesus Camp, which I recommend. It is a documentary about a Christian Evangelical community; the kids, aged from 8 on, are taken to a summer camp where they can play, sometimes, but especially pray. Background: when I was a 11, I also went to a Catholic summer camp. That was one of the best weeks of my life. It meant 1 week of pure wildness, when I came back I had to sleep for 3 days in a row because I had not slept at all fearing that someone would put tooth paste under my nose or in my underwear (that was sooooo funny, we did it to a girl that always had pedicure and she couldn't walk for 1 day) and I had a huge cold because we had decided to go have a swim in our underwear (remember, it was a Catholic camp) in a river on the mountains. And don't forget the grappa. Yeah, OK, we prayed before lunch and dinner, but the priest was hungrier than we were so it was kind of quick. Now, this is not what happens to these Evangelical kids. They are made believe that only if you repent and publicly admit your sins you can be saved. Only by repenting you can have the holy spirit coming down on you. And when it comes, you see these kids starting crying, having convulsions and spasms on the ground and starting talking all sort of weird languages, as if they were the apostoles. This movie is simply disturbing. It was the second time in my life that I nearly left the room - the first time was when I went to see Titanic on this mega screen, I was in the first row and I felt sea sick. I wonder how can this be legal (the story of the movie, not sitting in the first row in a cinema). I wonder how can parents watch theirs kids being shocked every single day without kicking the pastor in the ass, getting the kids into the car and drive home. And don't believe that the movie is some sort of hyper-opinionated "documentary" like that crappy Michael Moore movie. It only shows what happens. It is so "normal" for these persons to see this kind of scenes that the pastor decided to use the movie as some sort of commercial to attract more people to the Evangelical church. Other scary part is that these kids are taught to become warriors; the pastor clearly states that she admires the Islamic madrasas for the way they teach the kids how to sacrifice themselves for their faith. This is truly scary. There are then some other things, like being against homosexuality, abortion, evolutionism, science in general, that are distressing but expected.
Enough sad things; and enough being this fancy European I-know-it-all-and-US-really-sucks moron. So today I found out that they were giving The Nightmare Before Xmas by Tim Burton (this guy is simply cool)! In 3D!!!And, since the only sort of Halloween that we have in Europe consists of a bunch of 20-somethings forgetting that we have carnival to dress up and getting drunk (Köln anyone?), or having pedophiles making Halloween all year (trick or treat? Zaaack! Ops! It's your balls, sir, in the bag? Tooo bad), I decided to put on my magic 3D glasses and enjoy:-) I have to say, I think I preferred the original version, I think they just built the 3D effects on the original anyway, so you could really feel the 3D only when things were flying around (and then out of the screen). But, anyway, who cares. The kids loved it. I enjoyed it. Everyone is happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home