Frankfurt Pig

Monday, October 09, 2006

Buch Messe 2006

The Buch Messe is back!!
I have been waiting for this for the last month... tons of books... big discounts... something to read until Xmas...
So on Saturday we had some pasta with Carlo and Mariella (and a bottle of wine, the Buch Messe is always crowded and you get thirsty...) and then off we go! First we decide to go to the comics section: the most amazing part was seeing crowds of kids - well, teenagers actually, I'm getting old... - all dressed up as cartoon characters with wigs, wings, fishnet stockings and very short skirts, a guy was also dressed up as a mummy. This was much more professional than what you see at carnival, so I assume there are events like this all over Germany (or Europe perhaps) of which I have never heard of. I will find out and let you know so that we can go and make fool of ourselves as well:-)
After that we went to the international rooms, where our Italian friends (and their books, and their discounts) are. At first we give a look around and then I decide to start my shopping at the Mondadori/Einaudi stand. I mean, they are the biggest ones and they have taken here tons of books. I see the new Ammaniti book and I obviously decide to buy it (so that I can send a picture to OSte and make him die of envy). There are also all the noir collection from Einaudi with a Macchiavelli I haven't got yet, plus the biography of Rocco which I obviously want to buy. I collect my books and then go to the lady to pay. No, no, no books can be sold, she says, because we start selling only on Sunday and today is Saturday. I try to explain to her that on Sunday I am on a bloody plane to the US but no, no, we start selling only on Sunday. Sad and nearly crying I talk to Mariella and ask her whether she could come again on Sunday to buy me some books, I mean, if already Mondadori, who is the biggest one and has tons of books here, doens't want to sell them to me, also the others won't sell anything.
I make a list of books and then we decide to leave. We are walking back when we pass by some other stands. Desperate, I try it again: "excuse me, would it be possible to buy some books?" "Well, we should start selling only starting Sunday...." "Yes, I know, but on Sunday I am on a plane, I really cannot come!" "Ah, you really cannot come?" " No, I am on a plane..." "Well, who cares, just pick the ones you want" This was the first stand. The second one they didn't even care to tell me that we are supposed to start selling on Sunday and I just got the books. So basically I managed to come out of the messe wth 2 bags full of books, my wallett still not empty (since I got more than 50% discount on all of them) and with a message for the Mondadori people: care le mie carognette putride della mondadori, sara' il caso che voi capiate che, essendo una casa editrice e non un ente di beneficienza, se qualcuno vi chiede di comperare dei libri dovreste venderglieli ed essere contenti. Visto che questo arcano concetto non vi penetra nella calotta cranica, e pure comprensibilmente, dato lo spessore dello strato osseo che ricopre il vostro mononeurone, vi posso solo augurare che vi vengano delle emorroidi a grappolo grosse come delle big babol. E, tra l'altro, tu signora alla cassa: prima di tutto cosa stai alla cassa se non vendete una beata fava; a lavorare in miniera! In secondo luogo, alla tua eta' la zazzera sbarazzina asimettrica non sta bene, cambia parrucchiere per carita'. [there is nothing better than insulting in your mother tongue]
In the night we went to Ute to play Risiko. As usual, I was nearly winning when the dice decided not to work anymore. I lost around 6 tanks vs 1 that was defending Afganistan, I kind of felt like the Russians in the 80s. At the end, we just decided to call it a day without finishing: moral winner of the day is anyway Carlo, who was about to win, then probably he is not a moral winner but a semi winner...well, whatever. Remarkable thing is that Ute confirmed again that she is a great cook. Ute, always a pleasure:-)
We then left, I got home, left my little Jean Jacques [my car, for those who don't know it] to Carlo because tomorrow I have to go to the US. Addio, grattacieli sorgenti dal fiume, ed elevati al cielo... Yeah, OK, shouldn't have had so much wine...

2 Comments:

  • Hi Alba!

    I looooove your blog. I hope it is OK for you that I linked it from my blog so more people can discover it...

    I hope there will be more pictures and stories. By the way I translated the cursing into English so more people can grasp what you are talking about. It is funny to see what google can translate and what it cannot...

    Here goes:

    beloveds mine carognette putride of the mondadori, sara' the case that you understand that, being a publishing house and not a beneficienza agency, if someone asks you to buy of the books would have to sell them to it and to be content. Inasmuch as this mysterious concept does not penetrate to you in the skullcap, and also comprehensibly, given the thickness of the bony layer that covers your mononeuron, you I can only augur that they come to you of the large hemorrhoidses to cluster like of the big babol. And, among other things, you mrs. to the case: first of all what you are to the case if you do not sell one made happy fava; to work in mine! In the second place, to yours eta' the zazzera asimettrica sbarazzina is not well, changes hairdressing salon for carita'

    Capito?

    By Blogger Captain Catan, at 4:33 PM  

  • since this has been requested, I try to translate the part in italian of my post (but thanks Gaborno for trying:-) ):
    dear rotten shitties from mondadori, it is about time that you understand that, since you are a publishing house and not a non profit organization, when someone asks you to buy a book you should sell it and be happy. Since this arcane idea doesn't manage to get into your head - also understandibly, given the thick layer of bone that covers your only braincell - I can only wish that you get hemorroidses as big as a big babol (big babols were cheuwing gums that we used to have when kids, they are reeeaaaaaaly big). Moreover, you, cahsier lady: first of all, what the hell are you doing at the cashier if you don't sell a holy shit: go work in a mine! Then, this asymmetric youngish hair style doesn't suit you, please pleeeeeease change hairdresser.

    By Blogger alba, at 4:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home