Frankfurt Pig

Saturday, March 10, 2007

nothing special

Cari miei, this week nothing special to report, apart from Patricia staying at my place on Monday, Orfeo's Erben is always a nice place and I've been working a lot. But the good news is that in 2 weeks from now I will be in India. Holiday, at last!
Ops, I forgot:
1. this week there was a "weelbeing day" at work, with stands for the gym and other stuff. In the morning they gave some fruit (nice) on some porcelan plates (even nicer). Obviously I ate my fruit, even because I was hungry, and then I went around collecting the plates. So now I have 16 dessert plates:-) veeeeery nice
2. Italian and English are 2 very different languages. I've always thought so and now I got a further proof. Last time I was in Italy I bought a book from Philip Roth "L'orgia di Praga", translated in Italian. After some pages I figured out that I had already read it in English some time back. Now, the Italian translation is really different from the English one. The book is much more intellectual than the English (and original) version. I mean, obviously you can make simple, linear pages look much more complicated, you simply have to use Italian with all the tricks that it has, specifically not having a fixed structure. It really takes a good translator, and possibly a good author, to properly translate. Ode to thee, Cesare Pavese.
3. I read an interesting book, "Freakonomics". It gives good insights on a miriad of topics, it is well written and interesting. Shame that the authors didn't out the data for us to dig.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home