Frankfurt Pig

Sunday, October 19, 2008

engineer explains pina colada

miei cari, tonight, if the 2+ bottles of wine allow, I will share with you some insights about scaling up of liquid mixing. Sounds engineering, doesn't it? Well, kind of... So, how do you you make a pina colada ( I don't know where I can find the spanish n with the little worm on top symbol so you just have to cope with the wrong spelling). So you take 1 part of pineapple juice, 1 part of coconut cream and half or a bit more part of ron (which is rhum for those of you that you don't know that the real name is ron, like me 1.5 weeks ago) and some ice. So you look at the weird consistency of the coconut cream that you get in German stores, more like a very viscose paste than the white liquid with coconut suspension in it (the one that you can almost chew) that I saw in Mexico, and you try the recipe only for one - you don't want to throw away so much ron-. Given the promising results of the first batch, you decide to increase the quantities. Maybe some of you are not that familiar of what a batch is: a bacth is a system where you put the ingredients, mix or do whatever you have to (like heating, cooling and so on) and get a finished result, and if you want to do it again you have to follow the same procedure all over again. Basically: put, do whatever, get result - as opposed to a system where you keep on putting, keep on doing whatever you have to and keep on having result, which in engineering terms is called continuous system. So after seeing that the first batch of pina colada was good, I decided to increase to quantities to make 3 glasses. Wrong. I did not figure out that my stiring system - my little Braun thingy - was not supposed to handle so large quantities of junk. So I ended up washing myself and half of the kitchen. Shit. Well, lesson leant. Anyone wants some fake German coconut cream?

2 Comments:

  • so I assume you took the train?

    By Blogger Captain Catan, at 7:22 PM  

  • there is a lack process experience - ask naka for trainee in batch and process engineering

    By Blogger Saxe, at 7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home